Thursday, March 10, 2022

Update on the new job

 I've been adjusting to the new job at the library- the start was something of disaster, since my official start date was supposed to be January third, when heavy snows shut down the city and all the government offices, so I actually had my orientation and first day a little later than planned. Working at the library is amazing, though! It is full of geeks and nerds, so I'm right at home. There isn't a single coworker I don't like, and the work environment is so much healthier than what I'm used to that I'm actually still adjusting to that. I get sick days which I am supposed to take without guilt, because we're not understaffed, and I am accruing vacation time. I am still very grateful to the vet job, and I left on good terms. My boss did what she could for us, and worked just as hard or harder than anybody else, but it is simply the nature of a small privately owned business with a narrow profit margin, vs a government job. 


Also, I am around books all day. Not every day, because this job is actually part time, but I've already taken to snapping photos of covers while I'm out in the stacks so I something to refer back to when I'm looking for what to read next. I'm working in circulation, which means we're the people who keep the books moving around, getting where they need to be. Every hour we switch tasks, and because our location is kind of rural and quiet, some of those tasks have more downtime than others. Drive through, for instance (pictured here. Also, holy crap there's a drive through pickup window for books you put on hold) means sitting at the window and possibly only having a couple patrons come through in that time. What do you do while you're hanging out there? Well different people have different hobbies, but mostly I read. I've already started flying through books at an alarming rate. It reminds me a little of High School, where I hit a point when I mostly read through my classes.

Somehow I still pulled a B average, but I don't know whether that speaks to my ability to do homework fast and listen while also reading, or if it's just that there was such a bare minimum expected of us as students. Anyways...
Art and book posts coming, because I've been working on a fairly substantial project, but in the meantime I just want to say how amazing it is here. It's a beautiful building, set into a hillside so that it's one story in the front but two stories in the back, with huge windows overlooking a nature trail alongside woods and a stream. It's pretty enough in winter, I can't wait to see how it looks once spring fully sets in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment